It seems like everything that she does, because she is our youngest (and last) child, is so emotional for me. My two older children learned to ride their bikes at 5.5 and 4 years respectively, but when it came to my 'baby', I was never ready. I always had an excuse; "We don't have time to teach her right now", "She doesn't have knee and elbow pads", "I really like having her on the back of my bike", "She is just so young"....well, the time finally came where everything was 'just right'. The weather was great, my husband bought knee and elbow pads last week, the training wheels had been removed last year, her older sister was excited for her, and she was absolutely ready...I still wasn't, but reluctantly, I knew it was time, she is 6 years old and ready to ride her 'Big Girl Bike'. So, with tears in my eyes and love and joy in my heart while watching my husband hold on to the back of her bike while running up and down the sidewalk, I captured that moment of time, my baby girl learning to ride a bike.......



Wow sis! J.C., Kennedy, and Logan are all growing so fast, aren't they? I can only imagine what your reaction will be like when J.C. brings a girl home, or when your little girls will develop into young women. I still remember ,"I'll punch her in the throat" comment. Jeff helping Logan ride her bike is a priceless image and I know it was overwhelming seeing Logan's maturity materialize.
ReplyDeleteJust recently I had a younger cousin of mine inquire about college and what other avenues she could pursue to pay for it. In my head, I still saw the little who played with Barbie's and copied my every move. "Who told you that you could grow up?" I told her. Now she's following in my footsteps in a different form--college.
My mom used to say this when she saw a five or six-year-old in public, who she thought resembled me," If I could, I wish I could've kept you at that age."